The Audit Committee Charter establishes the authority and responsibility of the Committee. The purpose of the Audit Committee is to assist the Board in fulfilling its oversight responsibilities for the financial reporting process, the system of internal control, the internal and external audit processes, and the process for monitoring compliance with laws and regulations and the code of conduct.
The Audit Committee consists of five members of the Board of Directors:
- John E. Chilton, Chair
- Mary Helen Peter
- David Rich
The Audit Committee meets quarterly and may hold special called meetings as necessary. The Audit Committee has the authority to conduct or authorize investigations into any matters within its scope of responsibility. It is empowered to, among other things:
- appoint, compensate, and oversee the work of any registered public accounting firm employed by KRS; resolve any disagreements between management and the internal and external auditor regarding financial reporting;
- pre-approve all auditing and non-audit services;
- retain independent counsel, accountants, or others to advise the committee, or assist in the conduct of an investigation;
- seek any information it requires from employees or external parties; and,
- meet with officers, internal and/or external auditor, or outside counsel as necessary.
KRS is audited annually by an external audit firm.