Marital Status

If you change your name

If you change your name as a result of marriage or divorce, you must submit a copy of your new Social Security card, Medicare card, a marriage certificate, or a divorce decree  along with a written request to change your name. Marriage and divorce are also a Qualifying Event for the purposes of health insurance.

If you divorce

You must notify KRS when you divorce if you have named your ex-spouse as beneficiary or have them covered by insurance through KRS. A final divorce decree voids the designation of a spouse as beneficiary and terminates the ex-spouse’s eligibility as a dependent on health insurance coverage. If the divorce occurs after the first day of the month in which you receive your first payment your estate becomes the beneficiary of the account.
You are not permitted to name a new beneficiary for monthly benefits. If the ex-spouse is the named beneficiary of the death benefit, the Form 6030, Death Benefit Designation, must be completed again following the date of divorce, or the estate will become the beneficiary of the payment when it is issued.

Qualified Domestic Relations Orders

KRS is now accepting and enforcing QDROs (get forms here) that are submitted in accordance with Kentucky Revised Statute 61.690 and Kentucky Administrative Regulation 105 KAR 1:190. QDROs will only be accepted if they are on the form incorporated by reference to the administrative regulation. Kentucky Retirement Systems cannot accept any QDROs that are not on the form provided by KRS.
If you have a QDRO that is not on a form provided by KRS, you must return to court and obtain a new QDRO that is on the form provided by KRS. Otherwise, your QDRO cannot be accepted or enforced. QDROs will only be administered prospectively and KRS will not be responsible for collecting any payments that are delinquent at the time KRS accepts the QDRO. QDRO documents have a filing fee.
Qualified domestic relations orders that were accepted by KRS for enforcement prior to July 15, 2000 will not be affected by Kentucky Revised Statute 61.690 and no action is necessary for those orders to remain in effect
The alternate payee of a QDRO is not eligible to enroll for health insurance coverage through KRS.
  • Self Service

    ​Login to the KRS Self Service system, an application that helps you manage details of your retirement account.

    Login Now
  • Retiree Publications

    ​Download a digital copy of retiree publications and newsletters

    Browse Now
  • Retiree Forms

    ​Finding the appropriate form is vital to maintaining your retirement benefits.

    Browse Forms
  • Member Webinars and Videos

    ​Subscribe to our YouTube Channel, see our latest webinar schedules and descriptions.